Monday, March 7, 2016

Zootopia: It's Explosive!

Zootopia came out on Friday, which, of course, meant I had to go see it on Saturday. You can read my review here (WARNING: spoilers in there). I thought it was a fantastic movie, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much room there was in the theatre. I didn't notice any improvement from the Ultimate AVX Experience, but I did enjoy the unique opportunity to recline my chair while watching.

A lot has been made of Zootopia already. Current issues? Check. Awkward quasi-romance between species? Check. Salesman is a hero? Check.

Wait, though. Zootopia does something that is, as far as I recall, a first in Disney.

There's an explosion.


(from Disney Wikia - Judy and Nick being constantly adorable together)

Things just don't explode in the Disney world. Perhaps it's the historical settings. Maybe it's the lack of technological capability. Maybe everything's so cold it doesn't seem like things even can explode.

I don't know what it is, and this isn't proper review fodder anyway, but someone needed to mention this. The innovative decision to combine family-oriented animated comedy with the cop buddy genre opened a lot of new options for the screenwriters and directors. Unconfined by the usual fantasy or animal tropes, Disney was able to have, say, Judy buy Nick a Jumbo Pop. (Simba, for example, would struggle to handle currency due to his lack of opposable thumbs.) Beyond the animal-run city, the dashingly James Bond-like water buffalo, and the use of medical labs in a non-Secret of NIMH way...

Well, there was a newfound opportunity to blow something up. Specifically a rail car. Well played, Disney. I enjoyed it. KA-BOOM indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment