Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Up Close with Ontario's 2021 Gypsy Moth Explosion

2021 has seen one of the largest incidences of gypsy moths in Ontario in recent memory, eclipsing last year's gypsy moth bonanza. They're eating foliage.* They're "everywhere", causing "the worst infestation since the eighties". In a particularly scathing assessment, the Ottawa Citizen called gypsy moths, their caterpillars and their eggs "a cataclysmic insult".

Gypsy moth caterpillars "literally rain down out of the sky"

They sure rained on me in the North Kawarthas earlier this month:





They crawled on my skin only briefly, so I didn't suffer any gypsy moth rash. They were actually kind of cute, as they periodically rear their front legs like tiny horses. Besides, who can resist something so small and fuzzy?**

Nonetheless, a pest is a pest, and a generally anti-pesticide person except when it's absolutely necessary, I thought: do any birds eat these critters?

The answer is that yes, they do, including some of Ontario's most iconic bird species. According to this Michigan State University bulletin from all the way back in April 1999:

Many birds do not like to feed on large, hairy gypsy moth caterpillars, but other species seem to relish them! Yellow-billed and black-billed cuckoos, blue jays, orioles and rufous-sided towhees are among the species that feed on gypsy moth caterpillars. Some birds, such as the black-capped chickadee, will also feed on egg masses and can sometimes cause substantial egg mortality.

Here's a closeup I snapped of a chickadee last October:


Either this one, or a similar chickadee, was so friendly it landed on my shoe - while it was on my foot. It was unfortunately too quick for me to get a picture, but these adorable chickadees apparently consider Eastern Ontario so familiar they're willing to land on its human inhabitants.

I've seen more blue jays farther south (in Toronto - how fitting), so it'd be nice to see them up in cottage country. I can't recall the last time I saw a cuckoo, a towhee or an oriole, but they'd be welcome.

One final issue: Terry McGlynn, the ecologist and conservationist who named the completely unrelated gypsy ants, regrets using the racist term "gypsy". In the interest of naming things, let's rename gypsy moths! Here are a few fun ideas:

I'm open to more ideas and fewer moths. Let's cross our fingers for an increase in the presence of local avians.







*I don't usually toot my own horn, but here, I must: my pictures are better than these Canadian Press pictures. Matthew Gordon, Ontario's new nature photographer?

**Remember Weepuls? Gypsy moth caterpillars are like living, elongated Weepuls.

7 comments:

  1. I would highly recommend Mr Pedro loan services to any person in need of financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to borrowers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Mr, Pedro is the best way to get an easy loan,here is their email.. pedroloanss@gmail.com Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.
    You can contact Mr Pedro Jerome for the following financial help such as Home Loan, Car Loan, Business Loan, Personal Loan, Merchant Loan, SBA Loan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for a company with expertise & specialization seo services in dubai, you have reached the right place. We offer you a highly customized SEO strategy formed with keen marketing, business content, and mobile app development dubai services that have become mainstream with mobile penetrating in all aspects of day-to-day life. We at Corplete Solutions have been delighting clients by providing custom app developer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fournisseur internet drummondville Do everything all at once – download multiple HD movies, stream shows or music, browse

    ReplyDelete
  4. internet rimouski
    Are you looking for a stable internet connection in Rimouski then you get come the right place Gemstelecom provide the best reliable and stable internet connection at an affordable price.

    ReplyDelete