Saturday, June 13, 2020

First Championship Anniversary Day

A year ago today, my hometown Toronto Raptors won their first ever NBA Championship, 4-2 over the Golden State Warriors. I've been a Raptors fan since the plans for the team started taking shape in 1994, a year before their inaugural season starting in 1995. The team celebrates 25 years of play this year.

A year and a day ago, the St. Louis Blues won their first ever Stanley Cup, 4-3 over the Boston Bruins. My dad has been a Blues fan since their inception. Although I rooted for the Montreal Canadiens and the Detroit Red Wings back in the '90s, I casually picked up Blues fandom from him. (I was blogging about other issues yesterday.)

With the NBA and NHL set to reboot under drastically different circumstances than we're accustomed to, especially the NHL's World Cup of Soccer-style play-in tournament, it's a good time to reflect on 2019, when life was more normal.

The idea of a Raptors parade in downtown Toronto seems preposterous in the age of COVID-19. (I didn't go anyway.)

I saw the Raptors' victory coming, but the Blues stunned me so much I had to take pictures of my TV:



Pictures of course mine. I got that cabinet for $10, but that's a different story for a different time.

It's nice to have something to celebrate right now, even if it's only in very recent retrospect.

No comments:

Post a Comment